What is CIMC (Cisco IMC)?
What is CIMC (Cisco IMC)?
The CIMC which stands for Cisco Integrated Management Controller (IMC) is a baseboard management controller that enables embedded server management for Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers and Cisco UCS S-Series Storage Servers. The Cisco Integrated Management Controller(CIMC) enables access to the server configuration and a virtual server console, as well as monitors for hardware health.
The CIMC provides system management in the enterprise data center and across distributed branch-office locations. The Cisco IMC supports multiple management interfaces, including a Web UI (Web User Interface), a CLI (Command-Line Interface) and an XML API that is consistent with the one used by Cisco UCS Manager.
CIMC also provides industry-standard management protocols, including Redfish, Simple Network Management Protocol Version 3 (SNMPv3), and Intelligent Platform Management Interface Version 2.0 (IPMIv2.0). Figure 1 shows a sample CIMC screen.
The Cisco IMC provides simple firmware upgrade for Out-of-band upgrades such as BIOS, CIMC, and Cisco UCS VIC and adapter firmware upgrade like adapter firmware upgrade. Moreover, it supports Platform diagnostic suite, out-of-band RAID configuration wizard, simple, fast configuration of RAID arrays and multiple volumes and simple, fast configuration of RAID arrays and multiple volumes.
It also provides remote access to server console screen (HTML5) and HTML5 vKVM available for M4 and M5 servers. Using virtual power on and off makes it easier to remote power on, off, and reset from WebUI, KVM, and XML API.
Furthermore, CIMC embeds a Cisco Intersight Device Connector for connectivity with Cisco Intersight. Cisco UCS C-Series M4 servers can support Cisco Intersight when the corresponding CIMC version is 3.0(4) or later, Cisco UCS C-Series M5 servers can support Cisco Intersight when the corresponding Cisco IMC version is 3.1 or later, and Cisco UCS S3260 standalone servers support Cisco Intersight when the corresponding cisco integrated management controller version is 4.0(4e) or later.
The IMC Embedded fault engine, is designed for delivering consistent error reporting through IMC interfaces, security compliance and event monitoring and filtering.
Cisco IMC License
Currently, Cisco IMC is provided at no further charge with Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers and Cisco UCS S-Series Storage Servers.
CIMC key features
Key features of the Cisco Integrated Management Controller include:
- Simple upgrade process
- This controller can easily work with SNMP v2 and v3 protocols with IPMI and MIB.
- It is possible to use the vBoot solution by fine-tuning the parameters of the boot device in the event of a problem, as well as one-time boot support.
- Features support for various access and configuration interfaces, including an XML API that supports WebUI, Microsoft Windows PowerShell, and Python SDK.
- Using CIMC, you can perform various updates (BIOS, Broadband Upgrade, Cisco IMC, and Cisco UCS VIC). In addition, the controller supports automatic multi-system upgrade for RAID and LOM
Other advantages of the Cisco Integrated Management Controller Among all the positive aspects of CIMC include the following:
- CIMC has an RAID setup tool that lets you configure RAID devices on local media.
- The CIMC controller supports built-in diagnostic tools that allow you to quickly identify problems, which significantly increases the level of system availability.
- Directly supports Cisco UCS VIC interface cards, lets you configure the terminal network interfaces of Ethernet and FCoE connections (nic, fnic) on LAN (L2) / SAN without having to boot the operating system.